Monthly Wrap Up: January 2021

Hello!
 
I hope you're all well and ready to see what I've been reading this month. 

January has been a long one but it's also crazy to think the first month of this year has finished!

Let's get on with it...

So this month I read 7 books but this was mostly because we had another national lockdown to get through and my online university began around 18th Jan so I got in a few books before the madness of all that final year stuff!

I imagine as the months go on, I'll read a bit less as the university work increases.  

Saltwater - Jessica Andrews 


This is the first book I finished in January but I started it in December and put it down for a few days whilst I finished another book. 

After picking Saltwater back up again, I really tried to enjoy it but it just wasn't for me. 

I found it a little confusing at times and I didn't really find myself wanting to pick it up which is unusual for me. 

I did finish it though and gave it a 2 star rating out of 5 which I feel bad about but it wasn't a book I would really recommend as I found it difficult to read. Having said this, I have seen people enjoy it and write great reviews so give it a go if you fancy!

Also, please ignore the fact this picture has another book next to it, I used the same pic that's on my Instagram! (@katereadsx)


Truly Devious and The Vanishing Stair - Maureen Johnson



The Truly Devious series is one I haven't heard much about, even on bookstagram. In fact, when I do see a post I get a little bit excited that I've found someone who is also enjoying it!


This series follows students at Ellingham Academy, a school where only the chosen get to attend. Whilst there, an old case needs to be solved and new cases open up. Stevie, the student who loves true-crime and all things detectives, tries her hardest to find out what really happened back in 1936 as she unfolds the truth of present day events too. 


This is a young adult series of 3 books with a fourth being released in summer this year which I'm very excited about!

Books in the series: 

#1 Truly Devious
#2 The Vanishing Stair
#3 The Hand on the Wall
#4 The Box in the Woods

I'd recommend this if you enjoyed Holly Jackson's 'A Good Girl's Guide To Murder' or the One of Us is Lying series by Karen M. McManus!  

A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult


Wow! What a great book this is, it focusses on abortion and explores the different viewpoints on the topic. It really made me think on a few occasions which I really like because not many books make me sit back and evaluate. 

Before reading this book, I hadn't read any of Jodi Picoult's work but I think I'll be looking into her other books in the not too distant future. 

At the time of picking this book out, I was finding it difficult to choose what to read from my very long TBR list so I selected 4 books, sent a picture of them all to my boyfriend and asked him to choose one for me!

When he knew how much I had liked the book, he was a little on the smug side because he had done it again, picked out a great book for me to read and helped me in a time when my indecisiveness had reared its ugly head again, haha! 

A Quiet Kind of Thunder - Sara Barnard




Another great book!! I love love loved reading this! 

It was an easy 5 star rating from me. It's about a girl who doesn't speak and a boy who can't hear and it was just so so sweet. 

"Love isn't always a lightning strike. Sometimes it's the rumbling roll of thunder." 

I could write a huge piece about this book but nobody wants spoilers so just know that I really recommend this! 

I'd say this is more of a young adult read but I love YA so it was a good read for me!

One of Us is Next and Two Can Keep a Secret - Karen M. McManus


Another YA series I have invested my time in in the last couple of months is Karen M. McManus' One of Us is Lying series. 

I had seen this series everywhere, especially on bookstagram, but I don't think it really lived up to the hype for me. I think this could have been because I thought the series carried on with all the same characters and storyline but it was quite different as you went through each book. 

The first book was definitely my favourite and although I didn't love the other two, they were still enjoyable reads. 

I'm also excited to get my hands on the newest McManus book, The Cousins. I've heard great things so far!

Books in the series: 

#1 One of Us is Lying
#2 One of us is next
#3 Two Can Keep a Secret

That's all from me! 

I hope you enjoyed reading, let me know if you've read any of the books I did this month. 


Take care, 

Kate x


Where to find me: 
Instagram - @katereadsx












Comments

  1. Nicely done! I really liked One of Us Is Lying - I need to read One of Us Is Next.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of Us is Lying was definitely my fave one :) Hope you love One of Us is Next x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts